Sunday, March 7, 2010

Long Drive Explained...

Hey guys and gals, so here is the down low on how this beerventures starts.

March 5th a Friday I drive into Long Island to hit up a few of my usual places to go and see what they have gotten in stock and to stock up for a mini tasting with a friend. Tasting goes well and this is where you see who are the real men/ maniac or pansies/ posers.

I start driving for East End around 4am solo on this trip, unfortunately my traveling partner tried to convince me no to go but alas the Beer Hunter inside me beckons to obtain this years Gratitude 09 (which I must say was pretty darn good fresh but I can only begin to imagine how good it will be down the road) and possibly score a 5 year vertical.

I realize half way into my drive I didn't bring a camera so at one of the rest stops I make I pick one up, in addition to a shamrock milkshake from McDonalds (haha mind you this is 7:30am). I get into the town of Pittsburgh and it looks like a nice town but as I drive further into this town I start seeing CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, etc... on just about every other block on the main roads... Anywho I get to the brewery around 11:15am and low and behold there are people waiting, die hard fans like me. I park my car and of course I have to use the rest room and since East End is tucked away in a interesting neighborhood a rest room was no where in sight. Naturally I get out and make my way to the second row of the " daddy van" (yes I drive a soccer dad van) unscrew the top of a gatorade bottle and relieve myself...

I leave to get some cash from am ATM at one of the many Walgreen's and make my way back to find the Head Brewer Scott had come out to greet the craft beer drinkers and get an idea of how many people were planning on purchasing the infamous 5yr vertical (mind you these stacks were selling for $400).

Upon entering the brewery a bit unorganized but cool people were there none the less. From the outside its a bit run down but that doesn't affect the quality of the beer which is outstanding. After getting my vertical and Wooden Nickel which is their anniversary brew (a saison) I proceeded to unleash the slew of bottles I brought to share.

Ithaca LeBleu

Captain Lawrence Birra DeCicco
Brooklyn Brewery Cookie Jar Porter
Troegs Scratch 27
Southampton Grand Cru (funny story about this, I went to a beer distributor I go to often to pick up a Cuvee de Fleur, mind you the two bottles have similar labels. I did not realize this until I pull the bottle out of my bag to find I picked up the Grand Cru instead (solid spiced beer regardless))

I'm glad all those who brought bottles to share enjoyed what I brought and I enjoyed the other bottles that everyone else brought to share as well. Memorable moment, me being the genius brought a LeBleu which requires a corkscrew failed to bring one. "Necessity if the mother of invention" pocket knife + elbow grease = opened bottled of Lebleu with cork shoved back into bottle. HA.

Picked up some beer paraphernalia as usual for my two sisters and my dad. Also picked up two growlers.
1 growler of Best of the 'Burgh Winner/Belgian IPA: Bouillon De Houblon
1 growler of Session Ale #36: Nooner Scottish Ale.

After sharing some more brews with the great people at East End I packed my car and started the long lonely journey back to NY from Pittsburgh (6hr drive straight/ 7.5 with rest stops and 3 cups of coffee).

Of course before heading back I asked around for a local bottle shop that had a decent selection, Rob recommended D's Six pack and Dogs. There bottle selection is not bad but their wings and hot dogs are out of this world. I ordered D's dusted wings and a bacon cheese hot dog. Looking back on it I should have ordered two hot dogs. D's has my recommendation for food as well as a decent craft selection on tap.

On my way back I forgot to fill up before I started my journey back so it was nerve wrecking trying to get to a gas station while the gas empty light is on. Alas I pulled up to a no named gas station and filled up and was on my way. Picked two expresso coffees at a Starbucks due to my inability to stay awake during long drives (the lack of sun light didn't help).... ha... Luckily I get back home safe and sound to brave another trip/ release.


To my readers and those folks I met at East End, I had a pleasure meeting ya'll and I look forward to seeing you at the next release. Shout out to Bill, Rob and Livefast. I'll see you are the next release.

I will update with photos from the disposable camera once I get that sucka developed.

But I do have a pic of the haul.


Cheers,

~Suitcase Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment